There are billions of streaming videos on YouTube, but occasionally you might want to download some for offline watching.
There isn’t a download button, so you can’t save them to your PC. This is strange because you can download YouTube videos to your smartphone and watch them offline using the YouTube mobile app.
Fortunately, you may download YouTube videos using one of the many third-party services available.
Here are the two ways to download YouTube videos on your computer.
How to download YouTube videos using the VLC Media player
Using the free VLC Media Player program, you may stream music and films from your Mac or PC. It’s possible that you already have it set up on your computer.
You can use it to download any YouTube video even if it will take some time.
- Find the video you want to download off YouTube and copy its URL.
- Open VLC. If you’re on a PC, click Media in the top menu, and then Open Network Stream. If you’re on a Mac, click File in the top menu, and then Open Network.
- In the pop-up that appears, select the Network tab and paste the YouTube video’s URL in the text box at the top, and then click Play or Open at the bottom.
- After a moment, the YouTube video will begin playing. A longer YouTube video will take longer to open.
- If you’re on a PC, click Tools in the top menu, and then Media Information. If you’re on a Mac, click Window in the top menu, and then Media Information.
- In the Media Information” pop-up, there will be a Location text box at the bottom. Double-click the URL in this text box to select it, and then copy it.
- Go back to your web browser and paste that link into the URL text box at the top of the screen, and then hit the Enter key on a PC or Return key on a Mac.
- You’ll be brought to a page with just the video playing. Click on the three vertical dots in the bottom right corner, and then click Download.
Your computer will download the video as an a.MP4 file. You can give it a name and put it wherever you want.
How to download YouTube videos using the WinX or MacX YouTube Downloader
Each program in the WinX and MacX suites is designed for downloading videos from various sources. The WinX and MacX YouTube Downloaders are intended for downloading YouTube videos, as their names imply.
- Go to the WinX website and download the application. If you’re on a Mac, go to the MacX download page instead.
- Once the program is installed, open it and click Add Url in the top left corner.
- Paste the link to the YouTube video in the text box at the top and then click Analyze on the right.
- The app will check the video to see how high-quality it is. Once done, you’ll be offered a variety of file types to download in.
- Select the version of the video that you want, and then click Download Selected Videos or Done in the bottom right.
- On the next page, click Download now.
Your videos will download in the format you asked for, and be saved to your computer’s Videos or Movies folder.
How to download YouTube videos on mobile
The simplest way to watch YouTube videos offline is to download them using the mobile app on your smartphone.
- Open the YouTube app on your Android or iOS device.
- Find the video you want to download for offline viewing.
- Tap the Download button.