How to Delete a Comment on Facebook
Knowing how to delete a comment on Facebook is crucial if you’ve ever experienced the terror of writing something on Facebook that you didn’t mean to. The process you employ will depend on where you placed the comment, whether you want to remove your own or another person’s addition to one of your postings, and whether you want to delete it entirely.
How to Remove a Comment From Facebook
In most cases, deleting a comment on Facebook just takes one or two quick steps.
If you’ve posted a comment on your own or someone else’s post, just select the three dots to the right of your comment and select Delete from the pull-down menu. If a confirmation notice appears after you remove a remark or a post, you must choose Delete again to confirm your decision.
If you want to edit a comment you’ve made on one of your posts or someone else’s posts, the process is almost the same as deleting a post on Facebook. Select the three dots to the right of your comment and select Edit from the pull-down menu.
If you’ve created your own post on your wall, someone else’s wall, or to a Facebook group, you can delete that post in the same way. The only difference is that the option to delete the post from Facebook is further down the list. Select the three dots at the upper right corner of the post you want to delete and select the Delete option at the bottom of the pull-down menu.
You can edit the same post using the same approach. Just select the three dots at the upper right corner of the post and select Edit post at the top of the pull-down menu.
How to Delete or Edit Someone Else’s Comment
If a comment was left on one of your posts, in a Facebook group or page you manage, or on another user’s post, you can only edit that comment.
To delete or alter someone else’s Facebook post, use the steps below.
- To delete a comment posted by someone else on one of your posts, just select the three dots to the right of the post. Select Delete from the pull-down menu. Remember that in order to delete a comment posted by someone else on Facebook, it must be in response to one of your posts or a post made on your wall. You cannot delete another person’s post on their own wall or another person’s wall, nor can you delete another person’s remark on another person’s post.
You can delete a comment posted by someone in a Facebook Group or Page that you manage. The process is identical to deleting someone’s comment on your personal wall. Select the three dots to the right of the comment and select Delete from the pull-down menu.
Remember that you cannot edit a comment that has been posted to your wall, your Facebook Group, or your Facebook Page.
Why Delete a Comment on Facebook?
There are many reasons you might want to remove a comment on a Facebook post, whether it is your own or someone else’s.
- You’ve realized your Facebook comment might have come across wrong and want to remove it so you don’t hurt anyone’s feelings.
- People misunderstood what you’ve posted and you’d prefer to remove it entirely.
- After further research, you’ve discovered that something you posted is incorrect.
- You got in trouble for something you posted to Facebook and you’re required to delete the comment or face consequences.
- You received many negative responses to your comment and you’d like to remove the entire conversation from Facebook.
- A third-party app or website you use automatically posted something to your wall and you didn’t want it to.
Keep in mind that deleting a comment that has received numerous responses also deletes all of those responses. You might want to think about changing your comment rather than removing it if you don’t want the responses to be deleted from Facebook.