Rights and Obligations of Government in a State
Just as citizens have certain rights, duties and obligations, a government also enjoys a number of rights and performs certain obligations.
It is, however, more appropriate to talk about the obligations rather than the duties of government, as it may be difficult to compel a government to discharge its responsibility to the Citizens.
Indeed, the obligations of government to citizens are generally not justiceable as they are difficult to enforce in a court of law.
What are the rights and obligations of a government ?
Rights Of Government
The rights of a government include the following:
- The government has the power to make laws for the good of the whole country. In a democratic state, any law made by the Legislature is binding on all citizens and institutions.
- It maintains law and order through the law enforcement agencies.
- It defends the country against both internal and external attacks through the Army, Navy and Air Force.
- Government protects lives and properties.
- It controls all the mineral resources of the country. For example, solid minerals and oil are in the exclusive legislative list in Nigeria.
Obligations Of Government
The government has obligations to:
- Ensure the security and welfare of the people.
- Promote the even development of all parts of the country.
- Build a nation where the people have a sense of belonging.
- Encourage the citizens to participate in the government of their country.
- Protect the interest of the people at all times whether at home or abroad.
- Make education and health facilities accessible to all citizens.
- Ensure that the people have equal rights and opportunities.
- Facilitate the economic development of the country by providing necessary infrastructure and social amenities.
- Promote aspects of the culture that are attuhed to development.
- Ensure the application of the federal character and quota Principies in recruitment to public offices though this should not be at the expense of merit.
- Protect the interest of the country at all times.