In the increasingly crowded landscape of streaming services, each new platform seeks to offer its unique blend of content and functionality. Among the contenders, Paramount Plus, also known as Paramount+, has made its mark.
This article will delve into the intricate details of this service, its offerings, pricing, and the overall user experience, helping you decide if it’s worth the subscription.
What Is Paramount Plus?
Paramount Plus, stylized as Paramount+, is a subscription-based video streaming service owned and operated by ViacomCBS Streaming.
The platform was introduced on March 4, 2021 and it’s a rebrand and expansion of the previous CBS All Access platform.
Paramount+ gets its name from the globally recognized Paramount Pictures, a film and television production company under the larger ViacomCBS media conglomerate.
The “+” symbolizes the added content and features that the platform brings to its subscribers beyond the traditional TV and film offerings.
As a part of the ViacomCBS family, Paramount+ boasts an impressive content catalog that incorporates properties from CBS, BET, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Smithsonian Channel, and Paramount Pictures.
The service is home to an array of films, TV shows, and original series, with genres ranging from drama and comedy to reality TV, children’s programming, documentaries, and more.
The platform holds a particular appeal for sports fans and news enthusiasts, providing access to live sports broadcasts (including NFL, soccer, golf, etc.) and real-time news through CBSN.
How Does Paramount Plus Work?
Like most streaming platforms, Paramount+ requires an internet connection and a compatible device to access its content library. Once subscribed, users can browse, stream, and download movies, TV series, and other content.
Here’s a brief rundown of how the platform works:
Subscription and Pricing: Paramount+ offers two subscription plans to fit different budget and viewing preferences. The Essential Plan ($4.99 per month) is a budget-friendly option that includes commercials. The Premium Plan ($9.99 per month) offers commercial-free viewing, except for live TV.
Both plans grant access to the platform’s expansive content library, with the Premium Plan additionally offering local CBS live streams. Users can sign up directly through the Paramount+ website or app, or through various digital platforms like Apple, Amazon, and Roku.
Content Navigation: Upon logging in, users are greeted by a home screen showcasing a mix of popular, trending, and recommended content. The interface is categorized into Shows, Movies, Live TV, Brands, and News for easy content navigation.
Each category then breaks down into subcategories and genres to further refine the user’s search. The service also offers a search bar for direct queries.
Watchlist and Profiles: Paramount+ allows users to create personal watchlists, where they can save shows and movies to watch later.
The platform supports multiple user profiles, enabling different household members to have their individual watchlists, content recommendations, and viewing histories.
Streaming Quality and Downloads: Paramount+ supports streaming in HD and 4K Ultra HD, depending on the content. The service also provides an offline viewing option through the Download feature, which is especially useful for watching on-the-go without relying on a continuous internet connection.
Device Compatibility: Paramount+ is compatible with a wide range of devices. This includes web browsers on PCs and laptops, smartphones and tablets (iOS and Android), smart TVs, and streaming devices like Roku, Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Chromecast, and gaming consoles like Xbox and PlayStation.
In essence, Paramount+ is a comprehensive streaming service that combines an extensive on-demand content library with the bonus of live TV and sports, all packaged within a user-friendly interface.
Its variety of content and features cater to diverse viewing preferences, making it an appealing choice in the crowded streaming market.
History of Paramount Plus: From CBS All Access to Paramount+
Before it became Paramount+, the platform was known as CBS All Access. Launched in 2014, CBS All Access was CBS’s venture into the digital realm, providing a platform for viewers to stream CBS’s original and syndicated content online.
In 2020, ViacomCBS announced a rebranding strategy, which led to the transformation of CBS All Access into Paramount+.
The rebranding sought to capitalize on the global recognition and legacy of the Paramount name and its expansive library of content.
What Does Paramount Plus Offer?
Paramount+ boasts a substantial movie library. It includes an impressive array of classic films from Paramount Pictures and other studios under the ViacomCBS umbrella, such as Miramax, MGM, and Lionsgate. The service also promises to deliver select new releases shortly after their theatrical premieres.
The service hosts a wealth of popular TV series from networks like CBS, BET, Comedy Central, MTV, and Nickelodeon. This includes classic shows, current favorites, and original series produced exclusively for Paramount+. Some of the platform’s high-profile originals include “Star Trek: Picard,” “The Good Fight,” and “Why Women Kill.”
In addition to on-demand content, Paramount+ offers live streaming of local CBS stations, CBSN, CBS Sports HQ, and ET Live in the United States. This is an edge over many other streaming services, which focus solely on on-demand content.
Paramount+ also hosts a diverse range of sports content. It includes NFL games, UEFA Champions League soccer, PGA Tour golf, and much more.
Breakdown of Paramount Plus Pricing and Tiers
Paramount+ offers two tiers of pricing. The Essential Plan costs $4.99 per month and includes commercials. The Premium Plan costs $9.99 per month and is mostly commercial-free. Both plans offer access to the full range of content, but the Premium Plan also includes your local CBS live stream.
Comparison with Other Streaming Services
While Paramount+ is a worthy contender in the streaming market, it faces stiff competition from established giants like Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, and HBO Max.
The service differentiates itself through its diverse content offering, which spans from children’s programming to sports, its live TV feature, and its lower price point for the Essential Plan.
Netflix: The reigning monarch of streaming services, Netflix, has a massive, diverse catalog that spans across genres and languages. It’s particularly known for its quality original content, like “Stranger Things,” “The Crown,” and “The Queen’s Gambit.” Netflix also offers more pricing tiers, allowing for more flexibility. However, it lacks the live TV and sports content that Paramount+ provides. Additionally, as of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, Netflix’s pricing is higher than that of Paramount+.
Amazon Prime Video: Prime Video comes with an Amazon Prime subscription, which also includes Amazon Music and free two-day shipping on Amazon purchases. The service offers an expansive content library, including Amazon Originals like “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” and “Fleabag.” Additionally, Prime Video allows for renting or buying movies not included in the Prime package. While this is a bonus, it might lead to higher costs for viewers who frequently utilize this feature. Like Netflix, Prime Video doesn’t offer live TV, setting Paramount+ apart in this regard.
Disney+: Disney+ is a must-have for Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic fans. Its content, while narrower in focus than other platforms, appeals to a massive, dedicated audience. Moreover, Disney+ has produced high-quality original series like “The Mandalorian” and “WandaVision.” However, Disney+ lacks the live TV feature of Paramount+, and its library, while growing, is more specialized and not as broad.
HBO Max: HBO Max combines the HBO content library with shows and movies from WarnerMedia’s larger umbrella. This includes a wealth of critically acclaimed series like “Game of Thrones,” “The Sopranos,” and “Westworld,” as well as newer hits like “Succession.” The service also hosts a variety of films and has started offering some Warner Bros. films on the same day they hit theaters. On the downside, HBO Max is one of the more expensive streaming services, and it doesn’t offer live TV.
Apple TV+: Apple’s streaming service is lower-priced but has a significantly smaller library than other platforms. However, Apple TV+ has been making waves with its award-winning originals like “Ted Lasso” and “The Morning Show.” It doesn’t offer the breadth of content, live TV, or sports found on Paramount+.
Peacock: NBCUniversal’s Peacock is perhaps the most similar to Paramount+. It provides a blend of on-demand content, live news, sports, and even a free, ad-supported tier. But Paramount+ has a broader content portfolio due to the multiple networks under ViacomCBS.
Interestingly, each streaming service offers a unique proposition for its subscribers. Paramount+ differentiates itself with a combination of on-demand content from various genres, live TV, sports, and a competitive pricing model.
It might not have as much original content as some competitors (as of 2021), but it is a strong contender for those who appreciate ViacomCBS’s diverse programming range.
Available Devices and Platforms
Paramount+ is compatible with a variety of devices, including web browsers, iOS and Android devices, Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Fire TV, Roku, Xbox, and PlayStation consoles. This makes it an accessible option for virtually any viewer.
Paramount+ User Interface and Experience
Paramount+ offers a user-friendly interface. It organizes content into easy-to-navigate categories like Shows, Movies, Live TV, and Brands. Like other streaming services, it includes functionality for individual user profiles, parental controls, and personalized recommendations.
The Future of Paramount Plus
Looking ahead, Paramount+ is committed to expanding its library of original content. The service plans to debut several new series and movies exclusive to the platform.
With ViacomCBS’s vast range of networks and studios, the possibilities for new, high-quality content are virtually limitless.
Is Paramount Plus Worth It?
In summary, Paramount+ offers a unique blend of on-demand movies and series, live TV, and sports content. It’s a well-priced and diverse option in the market, especially appealing to those who appreciate ViacomCBS’s various networks’ programming.
While it may not yet have the same volume of original content as Netflix or Disney+, the promise of new exclusive series and movies, alongside its current offerings, makes Paramount+ an increasingly appealing option.
If you value variety in your content, and especially if you’re a sports fan, Paramount+ may very well be worth adding to your streaming service repertoire.
With the above insight, you should now be better equipped to make an informed decision about whether Paramount+ aligns with your streaming needs and preferences.
How To Download Movies On Paramount+
To enjoy your favorite shows and movies on Paramount+ without an internet connection, you can download them for offline viewing. This feature is a lifesaver for long commutes, plane rides, or any other situation where you might find yourself without reliable internet access.
Paramount+ allows downloads on iOS devices (iPhones, iPads), Android devices, and Windows 10 devices. Here’s how you can download movies or TV shows on Paramount+:
On iOS and Android Devices:
- Launch the Paramount+ App: First, you need to install the Paramount+ app from the App Store (for iOS devices) or Google Play Store (for Android devices) if you haven’t already. Once installed, open the app.
- Log In: Log into your Paramount+ account. Remember, you need a Paramount+ subscription to download content.
- Find Your Desired Movie or Show: Browse or use the search function to find the movie or TV show episode you want to download.
- Download: Once you’ve found the content, tap on it to get to the detail page. Look for a “Download” button or icon, usually represented by an arrow pointing downward or a cloud with a downward arrow. Tap on it to start the download.
- Check Your Downloads: You can track the progress of your downloads in the “Downloads” section of the app, typically found in the menu at the bottom of your screen.
On Windows 10 Devices:
The process is similar for Windows 10 devices using the Paramount+ app, which can be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.
- Launch the Paramount+ App: Once installed, open the Paramount+ app on your Windows 10 device.
- Log In: Log into your Paramount+ account.
- Find Your Desired Movie or Show: Browse or search for the movie or TV show episode you want to download.
- Download: After selecting your desired content, click the “Download” button or icon.
- Check Your Downloads: You can monitor the progress of your downloads in the “Downloads” section of the app.
Here are some things you need to note:
- The number of titles you can download at the same time and the number you can store depends on the storage capacity of your device.
- Downloaded content is only accessible through the Paramount+ app on the device where it was downloaded.
- Downloaded content will be deleted from your device 48 hours after you start watching it, or 30 days after download if not watched.
- You can also manually delete downloads from your device through the “Downloads” section of the app to save storage space.
Now, with your movies and shows downloaded, you’re all set to enjoy Paramount+ content wherever you go, even without an internet connection.
Paramount+ Account Sign Up – How To Create Paramount Plus Account
Streaming platforms have changed the way we consume entertainment. One of the notable entrants in this digital revolution is Paramount+.
With an expansive catalog spanning across genres and offering a mix of movies, TV shows, live sports, and news, it is quickly becoming a favorite choice for viewers. If you’re planning to subscribe, this article will guide you through the process of creating a Paramount+ account.
Step 1: Visit the Paramount+ Website
Start by visiting the Paramount+ website on your web browser. You can do this on a PC, laptop, or mobile device. The website URL is www.paramountplus.com.
Step 2: Choose Your Plan
Once on the website, you’ll see the “Try It Free” button. Clicking this will lead you to the page where you can choose your subscription plan.
Interestingly, Paramount+ offers two subscription plans:
- The Essential Plan: Priced at $4.99 per month, this plan includes commercials but offers access to a vast library of content.
- The Premium Plan: Priced at $9.99 per month, this plan offers commercial-free viewing (except for live TV) and access to your local CBS live stream.
Choose the plan that suits your preferences and budget.
Step 3: Create Your Account
After selecting your plan, you’ll be prompted to create an account. This will involve inputting your email address and creating a password. Bear in mind that to use a valid email address and a strong password for security purposes. Then, click the “Continue” button.
Step 4: Enter Your Billing Information
Next, you’ll be required to provide your billing information. You can pay for Paramount+ via credit card or PayPal.
If you’re using a credit card, you’ll need to enter your card number, expiration date, and security code. For PayPal, you’ll be directed to the PayPal website to log in to your account and confirm the payment.
After entering your billing information, click “Start Paramount+” to begin your subscription.
Step 5: Start Streaming
You’ve successfully created a Paramount+ account. You can now start streaming your favorite content. Remember to set up your profile and customize your settings for the best viewing experience.
Those are the steps you need to follow for setting up a Paramount+ account. With a few clicks, you can immerse yourself in a world of diverse and engaging content. Enjoy the on-demand shows, live TV, sports, and more that Paramount+ has to offer.
Let me quickly stress here that For mobile sign-ups, the process is similar but will involve downloading the Paramount+ app from either the App Store (for iOS devices) or Google Play Store (for Android devices), and then following the prompts to create an account.
Note: The Paramount+ free trial availability and duration may vary depending on the time and your location. Always check the latest offerings on the Paramount+ website.
Paramount+ Account Login – How To Sign In Your Paramount+ Account
How to log into your Paramount+ account is pretty simple and easy to undertake. You can do it from multiple devices, including a PC, laptop, smartphone, tablet, smart TV, or any other compatible streaming device. Here’s how you can do it:
On a Web Browser:
- Visit the Paramount+ Website: Go to www.paramountplus.com using any web browser on your PC or laptop.
- Click ‘Sign In’: On the top-right corner of the home page, you’ll find the ‘Sign In‘ option. Click on it.
- Enter Your Credentials: A login screen will appear. Enter your registered email address and password in the respective fields. Make sure you input these details accurately.
- Log In: After entering your login details, click ‘Sign In‘ to access your account. You should now be able to browse and stream content.
On Mobile Devices:
- Launch the Paramount+ App: First, make sure you have the Paramount+ app installed on your device. If not, download it from the App Store (for iOS devices) or Google Play Store (for Android devices).
- Tap on the ‘Sign In’ Option: Upon opening the app, you’ll see a ‘Sign In’ option, typically either on a pop-up screen or in the menu. Tap on it.
- Enter Your Login Details: Enter your registered email address and password into the respective fields. Make sure to enter the details accurately.
- Log In: Tap ‘Sign In‘ to log into your account. You should now be able to stream your favorite shows and movies on your mobile device.
On Streaming Devices and Smart TVs:
Logging in on devices like Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, or a Smart TV involves a similar process.
- Go to the Paramount+ App: Navigate to your device’s app store or menu, find the Paramount+ app, and open it. If the app isn’t installed, you’ll need to download it from your device’s app store.
- Select ‘Sign In’: Look for the ‘Sign In’ option on the home screen or within the menu of the Paramount+ app and select it.
- Enter Your Login Details: On the login screen, enter your email address and password associated with your Paramount+ account.
- Log In: After entering your credentials, proceed to log in. Now, you’re all set to enjoy your favorite Paramount+ content on your TV or streaming device.
Bear in mind to always log out of your account when using a shared or public device to maintain the security of your account. If you forget your password, use the ‘Forgot Password‘ option on the login screen, and follow the prompts to reset your password via your registered email address.
How to Stream Movies on Paramount+
Streaming movies and shows on Paramount+ is a seamless process, designed to offer you a convenient and enjoyable viewing experience. The platform allows you to stream content on various devices, including PCs, laptops, smartphones, tablets, smart TVs, and other compatible streaming devices.
Here’s a simple step-by-step guide on how to stream movies on Paramount+:
On a Web Browser:
- Visit the Paramount+ Website: Go to www.paramountplus.com on your preferred web browser.
- Sign In: Click on ‘Sign In‘ located at the top right corner of the page, then enter your login details to access your account.
- Choose a Movie: Navigate through the platform using the search bar or by browsing through the categories such as ‘Shows’, ‘Movies’, ‘Live TV’, ‘Brands’, and ‘News’. Click on ‘Movies’ to explore the available films. Once you find a movie you want to watch, click on it.
- Start Streaming: After selecting a movie, you’ll be redirected to its details page. Click the ‘Play’ button to begin streaming.
On Mobile Devices:
- Launch the Paramount+ App: Open the Paramount+ app on your device. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, you can get it from the App Store (for iOS) or Google Play Store (for Android).
- Sign In: Tap on the ‘Sign In’ option and enter your login details.
- Select a Movie: Use the search function or browse through the available categories to find a movie you wish to watch.
- Start Streaming: Tap on your chosen movie to go to its details page, then tap the ‘Play’ button to begin streaming.
On Streaming Devices and Smart TVs:
- Go to the Paramount+ App: Navigate to the Paramount+ app on your device. If it’s not installed, download it from your device’s app store.
- Sign In: Select ‘Sign In’ and input your account credentials.
- Choose a Movie: Browse or search for a movie. Once you’ve selected one, you’ll be redirected to its details page.
- Start Streaming: Select ‘Play‘ to begin streaming your chosen movie.
In addition to streaming, Paramount+ also allows you to download movies and shows for offline viewing on iOS, Android, and Windows 10 devices. This can be especially useful for watching content without an internet connection.
Regardless of the device you’re using, always ensure you have a stable internet connection for smooth streaming.
For high-quality video, a faster internet connection is recommended. However, Paramount+ also adjusts video quality based on your internet speed to minimize buffering.
Now, you’re all set to enjoy your favorite movies on Paramount+. Grab your popcorn and enjoy the show!
That is it on Paramount plus. To wrap things up, Paramount Plus is a subscription-based, on-demand streaming service owned by ViacomCBS.
It offers an extensive library of content, including movies, television series, sports, and news. It also provides access to exclusive original content produced solely for the platform.