Would you like to be notified when something about news, products, companies, or even a personal name is published online? You can receive notifications from Google Alerts when specific terms are used online.
You can set up notifications to get information using the change detection and alerting tool Google Alerts. You only need a Gmail account to get started setting up and modifying these alerts.
How to create a Google Alert
To create a Google Alert, complete the following steps:
- rom your computer or mobile device, go to google.com/alerts.
- Type in the topic for which you wish to receive alerts.
- Click “Create Alert.”
How to customize your Google Alert
1. Google allows you to customize your alert. Instead of clicking “Create Alert” as stated in Step 3 above, click on “Show Options.”
2. From here, you can customize alert features by pressing the up and down arrows:
- Alert frequency: Choose to receive an alert as it happens, once a day, or once a week.
- Sources: Opt to receive notifications from all sources, or customize to receive notifications from blogs, videos, or the news.
- Language: Select a language or ask for notifications from all languages.
- Location: Receive notifications from all regions, or select a specific country.
- Quality: Choose to receive what Google deems as “only the best results,” or select “All results.”
- Delivery method: Select which account will receive your alerts.
3. Click “Create Alert” when you are finished.
How to edit a Google Alert
You can easily edit a Google Alert from google.com/alerts or by editing directly from a Google Alert email you receive.
Editing from google.com/alerts
1. Go to google.com/alerts# to edit your Google Alerts.
2. Click on the pencil icon next to an alert.
3. Make the desired changes to your alert or alert delivery by clicking on the dual arrows and selecting an alert setting option from the dropdown tabs.
4. Click the “Update alert” button.
Editing from a Google Alert email notification
1. Open the Google Alert notification email
2. Click on “Edit this alert.”
3. You will then be directed to google.com/alert. Complete the same steps for editing as detailed above. (Begin by clicking on the pencil icon to edit.)
How to delete a Google Alert
The same two places where you set up alerts, google.com/alerts, or through an email you receive as a Google Alert, are also where you can delete a Google Alert.
Both a desktop computer and a mobile device can be used to delete a Google Alert.
Deleting a Google Alert from the Alerts page
1. Go to google.com/alerts#
2. Click on the trashcan icon next to an alert.
3. Google will display a message confirming your alert has been successfully deleted.
Deleting a Google Alert from an email
You will have the ability to alter or delete a Google Alert email notification once you receive it. To do this, adhere to the following steps:
1. Open the Google Alert notification email.
2. Click “Unsubscribe.”
3. You will then be directed to google.com/alert com. Click on the trashcan icon to delete this Google Alert.
Additional Google Alert customizations
In relation to how and when you receive Google Alert emails, Google offers additional options. You can choose what time you want to receive email notifications, and you can combine numerous notification emails into a single email.
Follow these easy steps to make these adjustments.
1. Go to google.com/alerts.
2. Click on the “Gears” icon located next to “My alerts.”
3. In the box that appears, click on the “Delivery Time” box to set the time of day you receive notifications.
4. Click on the “Digest” box to set the email address and how often you will receive email notifications.
5. Click “Save.”