Facebook has grown tremendously in the last few years. With more than 2 billion monthly active users, it is easy to see why this social network continues to rapidly expand. As a result of this growth, Facebook has begun testing new services, which have led many users to wonder if their profile will be replaced with something completely different soon.
This is especially true for businesses who use Facebook for selling products directly to customers. As of June 2018, there are now two major ways to sell goods on Facebook: through the Pages app and through the Marketplace app. Both options serve different purposes and have different levels of exposure.
In this online guide, we will cover everything you need to know about selling on Facebook Marketplace – from the pros and cons to how much you can make in profits from this new feature.
The social media giant has provided users with an opportunity to connect in different ways. Facebook is one of the most popular sites for people to share photos and other personal details about their lives.
People feel comfortable on Facebook because they know the people they’re connecting with are real friends or acquaintances. This familiarity makes it easy for users to trust others on the site, especially when looking to buy or sell products with them.
Because of this, Facebook recently launched a new feature called Marketplace, which puts its users in touch with local businesses and services that can help them meet their needs. And if you own a business, this could be a great way to market your company.
In this article we’ll explore what exactly Marketplace is, how you can use it as a seller and as a buyer, as well as some pros and cons of selling your products through Facebook Marketplace.
There are many ways to sell your products online. You can launch a separate website and drive traffic there, or you can use services like Amazon or e-commerce platforms to host your store. In recent times, the Facebook marketplace has gained popularity as an alternative way to sell your products directly to customers.
After all, almost everyone with internet access also has a profile on Facebook. Similar in some ways to marketplaces such as Etsy or eBay, Facebook Marketplace is essentially a directory of sellers who offer their goods directly to consumers. When someone searches for something they want to buy on Facebook, relevant results appear.
These might be ads or posts from verified users offering those items for sale directly from them. There are pros and cons for selling on the Facebook marketplace and any other similar social selling sites such as TEND or Letgo . Here’s what you need to know about selling on these marketplaces:
What is Facebook Marketplace?
Facebook Marketplace is a peer-to-peer selling platform where people can buy and sell items from each other directly. This differs from a regular Facebook buy and sell group, as it’s a feature built directly into the site.
Items for sale on Facebook Marketplace are also hosted by the company itself, so you don’t have to set up your own website and deal with hosting and security. The platform offers a way to buy and sell items locally. Facebook Marketplace lets you list items you want to sell and find potential buyers in your area.
When you list an item, the Facebook Marketplace algorithm will suggest a suggested price range. If someone is interested in your item, they can contact you directly through the platform. Facebook charges a commission fee on items you sell.
The Advantages of Selling on Facebook Marketplace
There are many advantages to selling on Facebook Marketplace. One of the most obvious benefits is that it is already part of your daily routine, so it doesn’t require any extra effort to reach your customers. To reach your customers, you simply post your items on your Facebook page, then promote the posts to your friends and followers.
Facebook also has a built-in payment system, so you don’t need to worry about processing payments or dealing with returns. As with selling on any other marketplace, your products are listed on a directory that can be easily accessed by millions of potential buyers. Interestingly, here are several advantages to selling on facebook marketplace:
- Facebook Marketplace is easy to use – Facebook is a well-known brand, making it easy to trust as a marketplace. It also has an easy-to-use interface and robust search functionality for finding items for sale.
- Sellers can choose to host their own listings or use the hosted service – Some sellers prefer an easy-to-use hosted service, while others want to set up their own website. Facebook Marketplace offers both options, which appeals to a wide range of sellers.
- Facebook Marketplace is free to use – You don’t need to pay for hosting, a website, or other services associated with regular e-commerce. You just need access to the internet and a Facebook account.
- People are already on Facebook – This can make it easier to reach potential customers. If they’re on Facebook, they might be more likely to see your listing and purchase something from you.
- The marketplace is growing – While it’s still not as big as eBay, it’s growing quickly. This gives you a chance to get in on the ground floor and build a customer base before it gets even more crowded.
- The marketplace is user-driven – Facebook allows users to leave reviews and ratings of purchases, which can help you build your reputation.
- Facebook Marketplace lets you sell things you don’t want anymore – You can sell old items, unused household items, unneeded gifts, and other things you don’t need any longer.
- You can get free followers on social media sites – If you host your own advertisements, you can get free followers on social media sites.
- You can sell clothes – While you can’t sell clothing on eBay, you can do so on Facebook Marketplace.
- You can ship items sold on Facebook Marketplace – If you use the hosted service to sell your items, you can ship them directly to the buyer.
- You can accept payment through PayPal – PayPal is a widely-used payment platform. You can accept payments directly through the hosted service.
- You can sell internationally on the Facebook marketplace – If you want to sell items internationally, you can do so on Facebook Marketplace.
- You can use the marketplace to build a following and sell your own products later – If you’re interested in building up a social media following, you can use Facebook Marketplace to sell products and gain a following. Later, when you have enough followers, you can sell your own products.
- You can sell anything on Facebook Marketplace – While you can’t sell certain items on eBay, like firearms and cars, you can sell almost anything on Facebook Marketplace.
- You can use photos for items for sale you don’t want to ship – Some items you might want to sell might not be worth the shipping cost. With Facebook Marketplace, you can take photos of those items and sell them without shipping them.
- Facebook Marketplace is a good way to unload items you don’t need anymore – You can sell items you don’t want anymore and put them out of the way in one fell swoop. This can be a good way to de-clutter your life.
The Disadvantages of Selling on Facebook Marketplace
- You don’t own your customer information – If you use the hosted service, Facebook will own any information about your buyers and their contact information. While Facebook may not misuse that information, it doesn’t have a great track record as far as data security goes.
- You aren’t guaranteed sales – With other marketplaces like Etsy, you can get guaranteed sales in return for fees. Facebook Marketplace, on the other hand, is very hit-or-miss.
- You can’t set your own prices – With the hosted service, Facebook will suggest a price for your items. If you want to keep more of the profit, you can host your own listings.
- Facebook Marketplace doesn’t go well with a drop shipping business – If you have a drop shipping business, Facebook Marketplace isn’t a good choice for you.
- You can’t launch a storefront on Facebook Marketplace – Facebook Marketplace is a peer-to-peer marketplace. You can’t set up a storefront on the platform.
- You don’t get direct access to your buyers – If you use the hosted service, you won’t have direct access to your buyers’ information. If they have problems with the transaction or issues with their product, you won’t be able to help them directly.
- You can’t add a customer service number – If a customer has a question about their purchase or needs to return something, you won’t be able to talk to them directly.
Tips for Selling Successfully on Facebook Marketplace
With so many people selling on Facebook Marketplace, you need to make sure your items stand out. Here are some tips to help make your posts more successful:
- Choose the right category for your item – If you want to sell your items on Facebook Marketplace, you’ll need to choose a category for them. You can use the categories listed here. You can filter the categories on Facebook Marketplace to see which ones are the most popular in your area. You might also want to do some research on other online marketplaces to see which categories are the most popular. Remember, though, that you don’t want to compete against your other products for sales.
- Keep your post short and sweet – When you post your item, you have a limited amount of space to include a description and details. Make sure that your post is short, sweet, and to the point. Include the item name, price, and any other relevant details.
- Use great photos – The photos you use are just as important as the post itself. Make sure that the photos you use are clear, in focus, and high-quality. Photos are essential on Facebook Marketplace, as they are the only way buyers can inspect your item before they purchase it. You should also give detailed descriptions and include any information relevant to the item being sold. This can include the item’s condition, its history, and even its repair history if it’s been previously repaired.
- Include a contact method – Make sure that your post has a contact method. You can include your email address, phone number, social media accounts, or another way to get in touch with you.
- Consider using Facebook Marketplace as a branding or marketing technique – Facebook Marketplace is a great way to get your name out there or promote your products.
- Consider hosting your own listings – While you can use the hosted service, hosting your own listings gives you more control over your product, prices, and sales.
- Choose the right price – Nobody likes to overpay for an item, so you’ll want to consider the current market price for your product. You can also use a sales strategy called price anchoring. Basically, you place a high price on one item and a low price on another item. This makes the low-priced item seem like a great deal by comparison.
- Protect your account – Just like you would on any other social network, be careful about what you post on Facebook Marketplace. Don’t post any personal identifying information, and never post anything that could get you or your account banned from Facebook.
Selling on Facebook Marketplace
Here are the steps you need to follow to figure out How To Sell Items On Facebook Marketplace:
- Open the Facebook app and click on the Store icon at the top of the page.
- At the top left side, click on “Sell”.
- Select a type or category for the product you want to sell.
- Add the images of the items you have on sale.
- Type a title for the item.
- Enter the price of items.
- Click on “NEXT”.
- Make a choice of the groups you would like to advertise your marketplace to
- Click on “POST”.
Whether you are a seller or a buyer, you need to make the most out of the Facebook Marketplace. It is a great platform for buying and selling goods. You can also get in touch with different sellers from across the globe.
However, you need to keep these tips in mind before selling on Facebook Marketplace. It is also important to know the ins and outs of selling on Facebook Marketplace. With this, you can make sure that you get the most out of using this platform.