Everyone knows about Craigslist, but the site is actually home to many different local versions. There’s something unique to every city and its quirks, which makes their local Craigslist stand out from the rest.
If you’re new to Pittsburgh, or just looking for a side of it that isn’t presented in an Instagram photo once a day, this guide will help you find your way around the city’s Craigslist and let you see what they don’t.
Pittsburgh has been called home by some of the most innovative people on Earth. That’s probably why we have so many brilliant communities built around books, art, technology and everything in between.
From aspiring graphic designers to carpenters who like to build rustic furniture from reclaimed materials—we have it all on Craigslist. Keep reading for more details on how you can use these sites to connect with other creative people online as well as in real life.
There’s no denying that Craigslist is a great resource for connecting people who want to sell something with people who want to buy it. Whether you’re looking for a new desk, a cheap mattress, or somewhere to stay for the night, there’s likely a Craigslist marketplace that has what you need.
If you live in one of the markets where Craigslist has local marketplaces for housing and residence (i.e., not just jobs but also sublets, roommates, and so on), this article will give you everything you need to know about using the site to find your next home.
From tips on how to make the most of your experience as a buyer or seller on Craigslist to specific tips on navigating each individual market, this article covers all you need to know about Craigslist and its housing subdivisions in Pittsburgh
What is Craigslist?
Craigslist is one of the biggest online marketplaces for buying and selling goods. The site is divided by city, and each city has its own “for sale” section that anyone may post items for sale. Craigslist charges for no-ads-for-life accounts — which allow users to post an unlimited number of ads.
There are also “real estate” sections in the housing sections of most major cities, including Pittsburgh. These allow people looking to buy or sell real estate to come together and execute deals.
In Pittsburgh, that means that the housing section allows people to post ads for sublets, roommates, and rooms for rent.
Finding a home on Craigslist
If you’re looking for a place to live, you’re in luck: The Pittsburgh housing section of Craigslist frequently has a lot of options. You can find all the sublets, roommates, and rooms for rent in Pittsburgh in the “housing” section of the site.
Before you dive in and start looking at what’s available, there are a few things you should know about how to find a place on Craigslist.
- Customer service is key. The more professional you come across, the better your chances are that the person with whom you’re negotiating will go smoothly.
- Know what you’re looking for. If you know the neighborhood you want to live in, the type of home you want, or the number of roommates you’d like to live with, it’s easier to find a place that’s a good fit for you.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate. If you see something you like but it’s not in your budget, don’t be afraid to talk to the person and ask what they would consider a more reasonable price.
Housing stipulations and etiquette
There are certain things you should know before you jump into the Craigslist housing section.
First, you should know that the person with whom you’re negotiating isn’t a landlord. They’re just a person who has something they need to get rid of, so don’t expect them to follow the same rules you’d follow if you were trying to rent or buy from a traditional landlord.
Also read: Google Hangouts Meet
You should also know that, because the person with whom you’re negotiating isn’t a landlord, you don’t have to worry about showing up for a tour with your checkbook in hand.
The person looking for someone to fill their open spot has no authority to rent the space to you. If you’re interested in an ad, all you have to do is contact the person and tell them you’re interested in filling their open spot.
Pittsburgh rental market
The rental market in Pittsburgh is pretty healthy, and the city is attracting new residents each year. If you’re moving to Pittsburgh, you’ll find that a wide variety of rentals are available. You can pretty much find any type of housing you’re looking for in the city, but finding a place close to the center of the city is a challenge.
One thing you might want to keep in mind is that Pittsburgh has a pretty temperate climate. That means that, while you can find rentals in almost any part of the city, you won’t find as many rentals in the city’s warmest areas as you would in a place with a more temperate climate.
Upcoming events for prospective renters in Pittsburgh
If you’re moving to Pittsburgh and you need a place to live, you don’t have to worry about finding a place to stay. There are a number of events in Pittsburgh where people post ads looking for roommates.
You might even find that you have some options before you’ve moved here. There are a few events you should keep an eye out for if you’re looking for a place to stay.
- Pittsburgh First Sunday: This event has been happening for over 30 years, and it brings together people who are visiting Pittsburgh and people who are living in the city. You can find people looking for roommates, sublets, or even just someone to show them around town.
- The First Friday Art Walk: This event attracts people from around the city, and many artists looking for a place to live in the city attend and post ads looking for roommates.
Finding an Apartment to Buy on Craigslist
If you’re in the market to buy a rental property, you can definitely find some great deals on Craigslist. One thing you’ll need to keep in mind, though, is that you’ll have to be prepared to close quickly.
If you see an ad for a rental property, you’re going to have to act fast. Keep in mind that the person selling the property isn’t a landlord; they’re just someone trying to get out from under a property they can’t handle.
They probably don’t have the time to haggle with you or wait while you get your finances together. If you want to buy a house on Craigslist, you’ll have to be prepared to be ready to close in a very short amount of time.
Tips for As a Buyer on Craigslist
If you’re looking to buy a home on Craigslist, you’ll want to make sure to carefully consider all your options. There are a lot of scams on Craigslist, so you’ll want to make sure you’re careful and you know what you’re getting into before you sign any contracts. Here are a few things you should keep in mind as a buyer on Craigslist.
- Know what you’re buying. Before you sign any contracts, you’ll want to make sure you’ve seen the home and you inspect it thoroughly.
- Get a home inspection. You’ll want to make sure that the home is in good condition and that there aren’t any major issues that you won’t be able to see just by looking at it.
- Don’t hand over any money until you’ve signed a contract. You’ll want to make sure that you’re protected if things go south and you end up losing money.
Selling on Craigslist
If you’re trying to sell a house on Craigslist, you have a few options. You can simply list the house and hope that you find a buyer. You can list the house as an “owner finance” property, you can list the house as a “real estate owned” property, or you can list the property as a “real estate owned by a broker,” which is legally required if you’re a licensed real estate broker.
If you go with the owner finance option, you’ll be accepting payments directly from the buyer, giving them a lien on the property, and making payments to your bank. When you go with the real estate owned option, you’ll find a buyer who will then buy your house and make payments to a third-party company who will then make payments to you.
With real estate owned by a broker, you’ll list the house as an REO, which means you’ll be selling the house directly to a third-party company who will then sell it to a buyer.
Get the most out of your Craigslist experience
- Use a separate email address. You don’t want to use the same email address for anything related to buying or selling on Craigslist as you do for anything related to your personal life. If someone contacts you to buy or sell something and you don’t recognize their email address, you want to be sure