When it first launched, Amazon Prime was a subscription program that offered free shipping to users of Amazon.com.
Yet, Amazon Prime Video and even critically acclaimed original programming appeared as it started to grow its online streaming offerings.
Fortunately, Amazon Prime Video has now become accessible for streaming on a number of platforms, including your Apple TV.
There are three simple and fundamental methods to use your Apple TV to get Amazon Prime.
You may either download it and watch it with the Amazon Prime app, AirPlay it from your iPhone or iPad to your Apple TV, or AirPlay it from your Mac’s browser.
How to watch Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV using the Prime Video Apple TV app
It only takes a click to activate your account if you have an Apple TV 2 or 3 because Apple moved the Prime Video app to the home screen.
Go to the App Store on your Apple TV if you have a first-generation model, an Apple TV 4, or a later model. One of the suggested apps in the first submenu, under “Now Streaming,” is typically Amazon Prime. If not, you can download it by searching for it in the search box.
Once you’ve located the application, click it to bring up the download/update box, and then select “Download” next to the summary.
The app will prompt you for your Amazon sign-in information once it has been downloaded.
Movies that are part of your Amazon Prime subscription will be highlighted when you open Amazon Prime.
While you can rent or buy other types of media, Amazon Prime Video material is free.
How to watch Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV using AirPlay from your iPhone or iPad
- Open the App Store and download the Amazon Prime Video app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Open the Prime Video app. It will ask you to sign in to your Amazon account.
- Select a title to play it.
- Once the title is playing, tap the AirPlay icon in the top-right. It is a rectangle with a triangle in it.
- A list of possible devices you can AirPlay to will come up. Tap on your Apple TV. Your title will now stream on your Apple TV through your iPhone.
How to watch Amazon Prime Video on your Apple TV using AirPlay on your Mac
- Open amazon.com in your web browser on your Mac.
- Start playing the title you want to screen on your Apple TV.
- Click on the AirPlay icon in the top toolbar.
- A dropdown will ask you where you want to AirPlay this. Select your Apple TV.
- Your computer will ask you to type in the code shown on your Apple TV. Once you do so on your Mac, your desktop screen should show up on your Apple TV.