The days of carrying around large iPods with little room for music are long gone. Nowadays, it’s simpler than ever to have access to literally any music you can think of, wherever you are, thanks to streaming services like Spotify.
Whether you enjoy showing tunes, rap, country, classical, or any other genre, Spotify has plenty to offer with a library of over 50 million songs. While Spotify is free to use, free users are required to view and listen to in-app advertisements on both desktop and mobile devices. For a nominal monthly membership cost, you may subscribe to Spotify Premium and enjoy ad-free listening.
If you’re a college student in the US, you can sign up for Spotify Premium Student, which has a monthly cost of just $4.99 instead of the regular $9.99. All that is required of you is your name, a student email, and occasionally documentation of your status as a student (a college ID, for example).
Additionally, Hulu and SHOWTIME are included in the price of Spotify Premium Student without additional charge.
For continuous listening, follow these instructions to sign up for Spotify Premium on your computer and iPhone.
How to get Spotify Premium on your iPhone
- On your iPhone’s home screen, locate and tap on your preferred web browser app icon to launch it.
- Navigate to https://www.spotify.com in your phone’s web browser, tap the three stacked bars in the top-right of the screen, tap “Log In,” and enter your Spotify username and password to log into the site.
- Once logged in, tap the Account Overview menu bar at the top of your screen and, from the drop-down menu which appears, tap on “Subscription.”
- On the next screen, you’ll be offered a free Spotify Premium trial. This will allow you to try the Premium version free for a period of 30 days, after which you will be charged the $9.99 monthly subscription fee, or $4.99 if you apply for a Student account. Tap “Try Premium Free.”
- On the payment screen, either enter your credit card details or choose PayPal if you wish to pay via that method. Then, click Start 30-Day Trial Now to begin your Spotify Premium subscription
Simply download the Spotify app from the App Store and log in with your usual information to start using your Spotify Premium membership. You can listen without advertisements after signing in. It’s that easy!
How to get Spotify Premium on desktop
- Go to https://www.spotify.com and log in using your username and password.
- On the home screen, look for the Upgrade option in the menu bar running along the top of your screen and click it.
- Spotify offers a free 30-day trial of their Premium service, after which you will be charged $9.99 per month, or $4.99 if you apply for a Student account. To activate Spotify Premium, click the “Start Free Trial” button.
- On the next screen, enter your credit card information. You can also pay via PayPal if you prefer.
- When you’ve finished entering your payment information, click “Start 30-Day Trial Now” at the bottom of your screen, and your Spotify Premium subscription will begin. Again, you will not be charged your first $9.99 monthly fee until after your 30-day trial is complete.
That’s it. You’re now a Spotify Premium member. It’s worth noting the end date of your trial and setting a reminder on your phone the day before it’s due to expire, in case you planned on canceling your subscription before payment is due.
If you’re still not sure if Spotify Premium is right for you, check out our list of the best music streaming services to see if another one may suit your tastes better. To make sure you’re getting the most out of your membership, be sure to look into how to download songs from Spotify and how to add music to the service. Want to master additional apps and become a power user? Start by learning how to hide your identity and avoid transmitting read receipts by using the WhatsApp Android widget.