How to Search for an Email Address in Facebook’s Search Field
If you want to add someone on Facebook, one option is to search for their email address.
Navigate to Facebook.com in a web browser or open the app on your mobile device and if necessary, sign into your Facebook account.
On the web, type (or copy and paste) the email address of the person you want to find into the Facebook search field at the top of any Facebook page and press the Enter or Return key.
Enter the email address in the search field on the app’s screen by tapping the magnifying glass at the top of the screen, then tap Go/Search.
Only if the individual you’re looking for lists their email address as public in their About information will this function. In order to protect their privacy, many people don’t list this information.
3. By default, this search delivers results about anything related to your search—including pages, places, groups, and more. Select the People tab to filter out everything except user profiles. Facebook will only show you profile results for people who have made their email or contact information public or who already have a connection to you.
4. If you see a matching email address in the search results, select the person’s name or profile photo to go to their Facebook profile. You can also click the add friend button if you’re sure it’s the right person. If you can’t spot the correct profile in your results, you can try filtering the results if you know other information about this person. On the web, use the filters on the left side to filter by city, education, work or mutual friends. On the app, use the filter buttons in the horizontal menu at the top.
5. Select Add Friend if you want to send them a friend request.
They might not accept friend requests from those without a shared friend connection if you don’t see this button. If so, you might have to choose Message to ask them to friend you first by sending them a message.
Why Look Someone up on Facebook Using Their Email?
Here are three typical reasons why you might want to use someone’s email address to find their Facebook profile:
- Their name is so common that it’s too difficult to spot it among all the other Facebook users with the same name when you do a name search.
- They haven’t listed their full name on their Facebook profile (perhaps using a nickname as a first name or a middle name as their last name).
- They (or you) don’t know their Facebook username/URL so you can’t use it to go directly to their profile.
Find People to Add on Facebook Messenger
Did you realize that users of Facebook Messenger don’t even require Facebook accounts? People can be found and added directly to Messenger without first being friends with them on Facebook.
Other Ways to Find People on Facebook
Searching for the user’s phone number, employer, school, or any other pertinent information they may have on their profile is another approach to locating someone on Facebook. You can search public groups or your friends’ contacts to focus your search.