How to Convert a PDF to Word
Because they are cross-platform, high-fidelity documents that look the same no matter what device you view them on, PDF files are popular, especially in the corporate world. However, they are intentionally incredibly challenging to alter. But you can do that by converting the PDF to Word if you need to “break open” and edit a PDF file. You now have access to all of Microsoft Word’s formatting options, however, the formatting might not be exactly the same as the original PDF.
How to convert a PDF to Word using Microsoft Word
Since you’ll likely be working with the file in Word subsequently, utilizing that application, if you have access to it, is definitely the simplest option.
- Find the PDF you want to convert on your computer. Open the folder that contains the file, but don’t open the PDF.
- Right-click the PDF file and, in the pop-up menu, click Open with.
- Click Word. If you don’t see Word, click Choose another app and then, in the pop-up window, click More apps and scroll until you see Word and then click OK.
- The word should start automatically, but then you’ll see a dialog box that asks permission to convert the PDF to Word. Click OK.
The amount of time it takes for the PDF file to convert and show up in Word will depend on its size and complexity. The document can now be saved in Word.
How to convert a PDF to Word using Google Docs
You can convert a PDF using Google Docs if you don’t have access to Microsoft Word but still need to get it into Word format.
- Open Google Docs in a web browser.
- Click the Open file picker icon (shaped like a folder) near the top of the page.
- In the Open a file window, click the Upload tab.
- Open the file you want to convert on your computer. You can click Select a file from your device and navigate to it, or drag the file to the window.
- After a moment, the PDF will display in the browser, but it’s still just open in Google Drive — you need to select Google Docs. At the top of the screen, click the Open with arrow and choose Google Docs.
- When the PDF appears in Google Docs, clickFile, then Download, and then click Microsoft Word (.docx). The file will be saved to your Downloads folder.
How to convert a PDF to Word using Adobe Acrobat
It’s simple to convert a PDF to Word with only a few clicks if you have Adobe Acrobat Pro or a subscription to Adobe Acrobat Pro DC. Be warned, though, that you must buy or subscribe to these paid services.
- Start Adobe Acrobat and open the PDF you want to convert. You can do this by clicking File, then Open, and navigating to the PDF file on your computer, or you can drag the file into your Acrobat window.
- In the Tools pane on the right side of the screen, click Export PDF.
- In the Export PDF window, choose Microsoft Word Document (*.docx) from the Convert To dropdown menu.
- Click Export to Word.
- When the export is complete, click the Exported Files icon at the top of the page and click the file you just created. In the Save As dialog box, choose a location and save the new Word file to your computer