The search feature on Facebook keeps note of recent searches, which is useful for directing you to regularly visited pages. But in the end, what you search for on Facebook—and who you seek—is a question of privacy.
Therefore, you might want to clear your Facebook search history first if you’re about to give your friend your phone or computer and you don’t want to risk them finding out who you’ve been looking up.
Fortunately, you can accomplish this covertly with just a few taps or clicks on your Mac, PC, iPhone, or Android device. How? Read on.
How to clear Facebook search history on a mobile device
1. Open the Facebook app on your iPhone or Android device.
2. Tap the search icon at the top right of the screen.
3. Next to where it says recent searches, tap “Edit.”
4. At the top of your Activity Log, tap “Clear Searches” to instantly clear your history. You can also tap the X icon next to each search item to clear that specific search, and leave the rest.
How to clear Facebook search history on a computer
1. Go to Facebook using any internet browser on your Mac or PC and open your profile page. On your profile page, in the bottom right corner of your cover photo, click “Activity Log.”
2. Click “More” under “Comments” on the left sidebar.
3. From the extended menu, click “Search History.”
4. At the top right of the menu, click “Clear Searches.” You can also click the cancel icon next to each search item to delete that item specifically.
5. Click “Clear Searches” again to confirm that you’d like to clear them all.