Even if your Yahoo account is protected by a strong password, you might need to update it sometimes.
You should be able to change your password in case you realize the account has been hacked, there has been a data breach, or it has been compromised in some other way, in addition to keeping your password secure on a regular basis.
Fortunately, changing your Yahoo password only requires a few keystrokes. How? Read on.
How to change your Yahoo password from a computer
You can use the link in your account settings to change your Yahoo password if you know it currently.
- Open Yahoo in a web browser and then click your account avatar at the top right of the web page.
- In the drop-down menu, click “Settings.” If you are directed to the Yahoo Mail page, choose “Account info” instead.
- In the pane on the left, click “Account Security.”
- Click “Change password.”
- Enter the new password you want to use and enter it a second time in the “Confirm new password” field. Check “Show password” if you find it easier to see what you’re typing.
- Click “Continue” to save your new password.
How to change your Yahoo password from the mobile app
You can also change your Yahoo password from the mobile app.
- In the Yahoo app on your phone or tablet, tap your account avatar at the top left of the screen, above the Inbox.
- Tap “Settings.”
- In the Settings menu, tap “Manage accounts.”
- On the Manage Accounts page, find your account and then tap “Account info.”
- Tap “Security Settings.” You may need to enter the password or use your device’s biometric security.
- On the Account Security page, tap “Change password.”
- Finally, enter your new password and confirm it by entering it a second time.
- Tap “Continue.” Your new password is saved.
How to reset your Yahoo password
If you’ve lost or forgotten your Yahoo password, you can reset it to regain access to your account.
- Open Yahoo in a web browser and click “Sign in.”
- Enter your username or email address and click “Next.”
- Click “Forgot password?”
- Yahoo will offer to send you a password reset link. Your options depend upon what contact options you’ve configured in your Yahoo account settings. Typically, you can choose to get a text message or an email sent to a backup email address. Choose the option that works best for you.
- When you get the reset link, follow it and then enter the new password you want to use with your Yahoo account.
Make sure your new password is strong and at least eight characters long, with a mix of upper- and lowercase letters, digits, and symbols. Additionally, never use a different online service’s password again.