While it can be rewarding to have followers leave comments on your Instagram pictures, there may be times when you want to share something without soliciting criticism.
Whatever the reason, Instagram gives you the option to turn off comments on your posts. Perhaps you’re publishing something that might be controversial or talking about a subject that’s challenging to broach but feels vital to open up about.
Before posting a photo or video to Instagram or after it has already gone live on your page, you can turn off comments.
The fact that you must disable comments for each individual post rather than all of them at once, unfortunately, limits your flexibility, but there may be times when you do want your followers to be able to voice their opinions.
Here’s how to stop Instagram comments from appearing.
How to disable comments on Instagram for a post you’ve already shared
- Tap open your Instagram app on your phone.
- From your profile page, tap the photo you wish to disable comments on.
- Tap the three dots on the upper right-hand corner of the photo to reveal a list of options.
- Tap “Turn Off Commenting.”
After that, comments will be turned off, but they can be turned back on at any time by going through steps one and two and then tapping “Turn On Commenting.”
How to disable comments on Instagram for a post you’re about to share
- Tap the photo or video you wish to share from your phone or tablet’s library, select any desired filters, then tap “Next.”
- On the caption screen, scroll down and tap “Advanced settings” at the bottom of the screen.
- Under the “Comments” header, toggle the “Turn off commenting” bar to on. You will know comments are disabled when the bar is blue
- Tap the back button at the top left-hand corner of the screen, then post your photo or video as normal by tapping “Share.”