Facebook may have introduced the term “social media,” but there are times when you don’t want to interact with pals or just don’t have the time.
You may easily disable your “active status” so that you appear offline if you wish to log into Facebook without your friends being able to see that you are online.
You can manage your active status in three distinct places: the Facebook mobile app, the Facebook web browser, and the Facebook Messenger mobile app.
How to turn off active status on Facebook in a web browser
To turn off active status and appear offline on Facebook:
1. Open Facebook in a browser and log in, if you’re not already.
2. Click the circular Messenger icon in the top-right corner.
3. Click the three-dot icon at the top of the Messenger drop-down.
4. Click Turn off Active Status in the drop-down menu.
5. A pop-up will appear asking if you want to Turn off the Active Status for all contacts, Turn off the Active Status for all contacts except, or Turn off the Active Status for only some contacts. When you click the latter two options, a box will appear where you can enter the names of specific people.
6. Click OK when you’re done.
The See all in Messenger option is located at the bottom of the drop-down menu that appears after clicking the Messenger symbol in the top-right corner. Click the three dots in the top-left corner of the Messenger page in full-screen mode, select Preferences, click Turn off Active Status from the pop-up menu, and then select your active status.
How to turn off active status in the Facebook mobile app
1. Open the Facebook app on your phone.
2. Tap the three horizontal lines (called the “hamburger menu”) in the top-right corner on Android or the bottom-right corner on iPhone.
3. Tap Settings & Privacy, and then tap Settings.
4. Tap Active Status under the Privacy section.
5. Turn off Show when you’re active by moving the slider to the left and then confirm by tapping Turn Off in the pop-up.
How to turn off active status in the Facebook Messenger mobile app
1. Open the Facebook Messenger app on your phone.
2. Tap your profile’s avatar at the top-left of the screen.
3. Tap Active Status.
4. Turn off Show when you’re active by moving the slider to the left and then confirm by tapping Turn Off in the pop-up.