In 2018, almost half of all online purchases were made from social media sites. While the vast majority of these were on Facebook, it’s no surprise that this is the platform where users are most comfortable buying and selling secondhand goods.
With so many people using it to make new friends, find partners or even just pass time, it makes sense that they would start using it as a marketplace for their belongings too.
Social media has become our primary source of news and information; it’s not difficult to see why we trust these sites with our stuff too. Read on for everything you need to know about buying and selling on Facebook Marketplace.
How to use Facebook Marketplace
Facebook Marketplace is a feature of the main Facebook app that allows users to buy and sell items through their newsfeed. In addition to the name of the seller or buyer, all posts contain a photo of the item for sale, the price of the item, the location of the seller, the date the post was made and the number of times it has been viewed.
Each post has an ‘add to cart’ function and a ‘send message’ function, allowing buyers and sellers to easily communicate with each other and arrange a meet-up. Each post also has a ‘reviews’ section where users can leave comments and rate the seller.
Each post also comes with a ‘ask a question’ function, which allows users to contact the seller directly for more details on their item. Users can also search for posts in their local area or on a wider scale.
Tips for buying on Facebook Marketplace
- Research the Seller – Before you purchase any item, make sure you’re buying from a trustworthy seller. You can learn more about them by checking out their reviews. While Facebook doesn’t allow sellers to change their username, they can change their name or photo. This can make it difficult to track specific users. Look for sellers who take clear, quality photos of their items and have a consistent name and profile photo.
- Check the Price – If you’re looking to buy a brand-new item at a low price, Facebook Marketplace may not be the place for you. Although you’re purchasing from a private seller, their price should still be fair. If it seems too good to be true, there’s a chance the item may be stolen.
- Meet in a Public Place – This one goes without saying. Never make an offline purchase from a seller in a private residence. Always meet in a public place like a coffee shop or a library.
- Pay With Cash – Make sure you only pay cash when you go to pick up your item. Take a friend or family member with you and meet the seller during the day.
- Don’t Trust Everything You Read – Just like on Craigslist, scammers can easily set up a fake Facebook account and post fake ads. Always meet the seller in person to verify that they’re real and their items are legitimate.
- Keep Records – It’s important to document every purchase you make on Facebook Marketplace. Make a note of the date you bought the item and the price you paid. If a dispute arises, you’ll have proof to show your seller.
- Stay Safe – Always use common sense when buying or selling on Facebook Marketplace. Trust your intuition and never let a stranger into your home. Bring a friend along with you when you meet the seller and make sure to let someone know where you’ll be.
Tips for selling on Facebook Marketplace
- Use Professional Photos – Pictures are everything when it comes to selling your items online. Use high-quality photos that show your products in their best light.
- Research the Market – Do some research to see what your items are worth. You don’t want to undervalue your item but you also don’t want to price it too high and not sell.
- Be Honest About Condition – Be upfront about the condition of your items and don’t hide any flaws. If you mark your item as ‘new’ when it’s used, you’re opening yourself up to a lot of trouble.
- Be Available for Questions – Make sure your Facebook Marketplace account is set up so people can contact you. Respond to questions from potential buyers quickly and thoroughly.
- Include a Good Description – Include all the necessary information about your item in the description. Buyers will only read about one or two things in the post, so put your best foot forward and include everything you can.
- Consider Shipping – If you’re selling something large or fragile, you may want to consider shipping it to your buyer. This will allow you to ship to a wider audience and avoid local pick-ups.
- Keep Records – Just like when buying on Facebook Marketplace, it’s important to document everything. This will help in the event of a dispute and allow you to track your sales.
What should I know before buying on Facebook Marketplace?
- Never Pick Up an Item – Unless you’re 100% sure it’s the right item, never pick up an item you bought on Facebook Marketplace. This is something you should keep in mind even if you use a service like ours, which provides verification for every item.
- Avoid Cash Payments – Don’t make any cash payments when buying from another person. If you absolutely must, take an ID and a credit card with you and keep them on hand.
- Buy from Trusted Sellers – Always do your research before buying from any seller, whether they’re reputable or not. Take a look at the items they’ve listed for sale and read their reviews.
- Don’t Trust Everything You Read – Like mentioned above, scammers can easily set up a fake Facebook account and post fake ads. Always meet the seller in person to verify that they’re real.
- Keep Records – Just like when selling on Facebook Marketplace, it’s important to keep records of all your purchases. This will allow you to track your purchases and help in the event of a dispute.
- Stay Safe – When buying items from Facebook Marketplace, it’s important to stay safe. Trust your instincts and never let a stranger into your home.
- Stay Suspicious – While there are plenty of honest people on Facebook Marketplace, there are likely just as many scammers. Always be suspicious of a seller’s motives and make sure to keep your friends close.
Is Facebook Marketplace a Good Thing?
Facebook Marketplace is a great place to find a wide variety of items at a reasonable price. However, it does come with some downsides. Facebook Marketplace does not offer any kind of protection for items that are broken or not delivered, so you are solely responsible for any issues you encounter.
This is why it is important to thoroughly research the seller before you make a purchase. Another drawback to Facebook Marketplace is its ease of use. Facebook Marketplace is incredibly easy to use, which makes it very accessible to scammers.
Facebook Marketplace also allows posts from people who are not friends with you, so you may end up seeing posts from scammers or fraudulent sellers.
Facebook Marketplace makes it easy for people to buy and sell items from their computer or phone. While it does make it easier for scammers to operate, it also makes it very easy for honest people to find exactly what they need.
Overall, Facebook Marketplace is a very good thing. It’s a great way to get the things you need, or make a little bit of money if you have unneeded items lying around.
Fees for selling on Facebook Marketplace
When you sell an item on Facebook Marketplace, the website charges the seller a fee of 15%. This fee is based on the ‘net proceeds’ of the sale, which is the total amount of money you make from the sale minus the cost of shipping the item.
When you’re buying an item on Facebook Marketplace, you pay a fee of 10%. This fee is charged on the price of the item minus shipping costs.
How do you successfully sell on Facebook Marketplace?
There are thousands of people selling items on Facebook Marketplace, so how do you stand out from the crowd? First, you need to make sure your post is up to scratch. Here are some tips for standing out on Facebook Marketplace.
- Use Professional Photos – Just like with eBay or Amazon, you need to have great, high-quality photos of your items. Make sure you get rid of unnecessary clutter in the background of your photos and use natural lighting.
- Be Honest About Condition – Be 100% honest about the condition of your items. If you mark your item as ‘new’ when it’s used, you’re opening yourself up to a lot of trouble.
- Include a Detailed Description – Include all the pertinent information about your item in the description. Buyers will only read about one or two things in the post, so put your best.
How to Buy Items on the Facebook Marketplace
Here is how you can items on the FB Marketplace.
- Open the Facebook app.
- Login to your account or create one.
- Tap on the hamburger menu icon.
- Select the marketplace option from the list of options available.
- Find the pet supply you wish to buy on the marketplace and follow the onscreen directions to purchase it.
Above is how you can items on the Marketplace.
How To Sell Items On Facebook Marketplace
- Open the Facebook app and click on the Store icon at the top of the page.
- At the top left side, click on “Sell”.
- Select a type or category for the product you want to sell.
- Add the images of the items you have on sale.
- Type a title for the item.
- Enter the price of items.
- Click on “NEXT”.
- Make a choice of the groups you would like to advertise your marketplace to
- Click on “POST”.