There are thousands of used cars listed on Facebook Marketplace, so it can be a little overwhelming to search and find the right one. Luckily, there are some helpful tips and tricks you can use to make your search more effective.
If you’re looking for a used car at an affordable price, then using these strategies will help you save money and time. With so many thousands of listings in multiple cities across the country, there are great deals to be found on Facebook Marketplace.
In this article, we share insider secrets on how to find the best deals and get the most value when buying or selling a car on marketplace.
Know What to Look for When Buying a Used Car
There are a few things to keep in mind when buying a used car. First, examine the car’s general condition. Is it clean and well-maintained? Is the paint job in good shape? Is the interior clean and free of stains?
If you’re buying a used car with a manual transmission, check to see if it’s been maintained properly.
Look at the condition of the clutch and the amount of wear on the shifter. Check the tires to see if they have even and adequate tread. If they’re worn out, you’ll end up spending more in the long-run. Finally, take a close look at the engine. Check for leaks and knocks, and listen for strange sounds.
Be Smart When Negotiating
Negotiating is a big part of buying and selling a car, so you want to make sure you go in prepared. When you’re buying a used car, don’t offer the seller the asking price. It’s important to know what a good price for the car is, so you can either pay or sell the car for that price.
When you’re buying, set a maximum price that you’re willing to pay. Don’t let the seller know this price, but keep it in mind as you’re negotiating. Going in with a specific price in mind will make you less likely to overpay.
Beyond the price, you should also think about the condition of the car and any add-ons or services the seller is offering. Use this information to come up with a fair offer.
Check the VIN and Warranty
Before you buy a used car, make sure it has a valid VIN and a current and valid car warranty. At the very least, the car should have a CARFAX report to show that it has no major issues or accidents in its past.
Make sure that the car has been maintained, and that there are no service records or repair records indicating that something may be wrong with the car.
If the car has had any repairs, get in touch with the mechanic who performed the repairs and find out what was wrong with the car. This will tell you a lot about the health of the car, and it’s a great thing to bring up in negotiations.
Don’t Forget the Inspection
If you’re buying a used car in person, you should hire a mechanic to inspect it. The mechanic should thoroughly review the car’s general condition, check for any problems, and let you know if the car is worth buying.
This inspection will cost you a few hundred dollars, but it’s worth it. And if you’re buying the car online, you should ask the seller to let you have it inspected at a mechanic shop of your choice. If the seller balks, you can always walk away from the deal.
Finding the Best Deals on Facebook Marketplace
There are a few things you should keep in mind when buying a used car on Facebook Marketplace. First, check the seller’s comments and ratings. You can do this by clicking their name in the comments section. Look to see if the seller is prompt with replies and if they have a history of positive interactions.
If they have a low number of ratings, you can also send them a message and ask them about their experience buying and selling cars on Marketplace. Determine if you want to buy a car that’s been listed for a long time or one that’s fairly new.
If you want a car that’s been listed for a long time, you can try and get a lower price by offering less than the asking price. If the car has been listed for a short amount of time, you can try offering more than the asking price.
Know Your Seller
Before you buy a used car from anyone, make sure you know their full name, phone number, and address. This information can be found in the comments, and you can also send a message and ask for it. Beyond that, you should try to learn as much as you can about the seller.
You can do this by searching the person’s name, or you can use Facebook’s search functions to find out more about the seller. This can help you to avoid scams and make sure you’re dealing with a legitimate person. Beyond that, you should follow these tips to make sure you’re buying a quality car from a trustworthy seller.
- Research the car’s history – You can do this by using a service like Carfax.
- Ask for a Carfax report – This will tell you if the car has been in an accident or has had any history of issues.
- Ask for maintenance records – These will show you when the car was last serviced and how often it has needed service.
- Ask for the VIN – The VIN will tell you everything you need to know about the car, including its year, make, model, and options.
- Ask for insurance information – This will tell you if the car has any insurance or an insurance claim in its past.
Negotiate Like a Pro
Once you’ve found the right car, it’s time to negotiate. Start by sending the seller a friendly message letting them know you’re interested in buying the car. Tell them that you’re interested in the car, and if they have any questions, they can send you a message. From there, you can discuss the price and come to an agreement.
Of course, you’ll want to go into the negotiation prepared. Make sure that you have a clear budget, and you’ve done your research on the car’s price history. Beyond that, there are a few things you can do to make sure you get the best price possible.
- Avoid sending the seller a low-ball offer – If you send a low-ball offer, the seller will be offended, and they’ll ignore you. You want to go into the negotiation meeting at or above the asking price.
- Be prepared for rejection – Be prepared for the seller to turn down your offer. If that happens, don’t be offended. Instead, ask them why the price is so high and how you can lower it.
- Offer less if the car has been listed for a long time – If the car has been listed for a long time, you can try offering less than the asking price. This will show the seller that you’re serious about buying the car, and it might make them more likely to accept your offer.
Do people usually negotiate on Facebook Marketplace?
Yes! In fact, nearly 32% of people who use Marketplace say they’ve negotiated on an item they’ve bought. This means that it’s a pretty common practice. Facebook Marketplace has a built-in negotiation system that makes the process easy.
You can start a conversation with the seller in their comments section, and from there, you can negotiate a price. The negotiation process can be a bit tricky. You’ll want to find a balance between being friendly and being firm.
What are the top selling items on Facebook Marketplace 2022?
- Used Cars – This is the number one item that people sell on Marketplace. It’s also the second most-visited category on the site.
- Used Furniture – The furniture category is the third most-visited category.
- Used Clothing – The clothing category is the fifth most-visited category.
- Other items that are commonly sold on Facebook Marketplace include:
- Music equipment
2. Sporting goods
3. Household items