Facebook Dating 101: Even though Facebook is one of the oldest social networking sites, it remains relevant by continually introducing new features. And no wonder. According to Statista, more than 2 billion people log in to Facebook every month from across the globe.
In January of this year, Facebook announced a dating feature to help users find love and connections with other users interested in dating. In response to this announcement, many were quick to assume that this feature would be catered specifically for Millennials or another isolated age group within that generation.
But as it turns out, anyone can use the Dating feature on Facebook — regardless of age or location. However, not everyone has jumped on board so far. The Dating feature is currently only accessible through an invite from a friend who has signed up already; but if you’re interested in signing up too, read on for our complete list of tips and tricks for getting started with your new dating profile!
How to sign up for Facebook Dating
First things first, if you want to try out Facebook Dating, you need to sign up for a facebook account. If you’re currently using your main Facebook account, you won’t need to create another account as that will allow you access to the Facebook Dating feature.
To sign up for a facebook account, go to Facebook.com and click Sign Up in the upper right corner. You’ll be prompted to choose a Username, enter your First Name and Last Name, and select your Gender.
You’ll also need to select your current Age from the drop-down menu. As you fill out these fields, remember that you can always change them later if you decide you don’t like them! Once you’ve filled out all the required fields and are happy with your new account, click Create Account and you’re good to go.
Once you are done with that, you can now proceed to sign up for a facebook dating profile account. The steps on how to create a facebook dating account is as outlined below:
Create your Facebook Dating profile
Now that you’re set up your facebook account, it’s time to create a facebook Dating profile. To do so, click on the hamburger icon in the upper left corner, then click on see more. Once you’re on the see more page, look for the “Dates” category.
There, you’ll find a “Date” button. Click on it, and you’re ready to create your Facebook Dating profile! If you remember from before, Facebook Dating is not catered to specific demographics.
So, you can create your Dating profile in whatever way makes you feel most comfortable. That said, Facebook does offer some helpful suggestions for creating your profile.
In your profile, you can choose to share your professional title, current job, where you work, what you’re studying, where you went to school, and what you do in your free time. If you have an Instagram account, you can add that to your profile as well!
Now, fill out the complete details and the ensure to add your location and then submit the form.
Now, facebook will carry out the matching process for you.
Facebook Dating Tips & Tricks
Now that you know how to get started with Facebook Dating, let’s discuss some tips and tricks to help your Dating experience go as smoothly as possible.
- Choose your Privacy Settings carefully. Remember that even though you’re using a separate account from your main Facebook account, your friends may be able to see your Dating profile if they’re also using Dating. To ensure your profile is as private as possible, consider limiting the audience for your dating posts to “Only Me.”
- Consider limiting the audience for your dating posts to “Only Me.” Even though your profile might be visible to potential matches, it might be useful to log in and post about your upcoming vacation to New York, for example. This will allow you to post about your vacation without worrying about your potential matches seeing it.
- Consider making your Dating profile a secret. This will allow you to hide your Dating profile from all of your friends. This is useful if you’re worried about one of your friends seeing your online dating profile and thinking less of you.
- Take care of your Health and Safety. You might not think of online dating as a dangerous activity, but it can be. Stay safe by avoiding overly-s3xual or suggestive photos, and don’t exchange private details like your address or phone number until you know someone well.
Facebook Dating Basics
Now that you know how to sign up for Facebook Dating, how to create a profile, and some basic tips and tricks, let’s discuss some of the basics of Facebook Dating.
- The minimum age to use the Dating feature is 18. You must be at least 18 years old to sign up for Facebook Dating, and you must use your real name.
- Unlike facebook profile account, not only friends can see your Dating profile. Once you’ve logged into your dating profile, not only friends on your friend list will be able to see your profile. This means that you don’t need to worry about your boss, parents, or other acquaintances seeing your profile.
- You can go on as many or as few dates as you’d like. You don’t have to go on a date with every person who likes your profile. If you don’t feel comfortable going on a date with someone, you don’t have to.
- You don’t have to use Facebook Dating. If you don’t feel comfortable using Facebook Dating, that’s okay! There are many other dating sites and apps available.
Communicating with Other Users
Now that you know how to sign up for Facebook Dating and how your Dating profile works, let’s talk about how to communicate with other users. Communication on Facebook Dating happens solely through the Messenger app.
Also read: How To Deactivate Conversation On Facebook Dating In 2023
To message a potential match, click on their name in your list of likes. If they’ve liked you back, you’ll see two buttons: “Go on a Date” and “Message.” If they’ve liked you back but you don’t feel like going on a date, click “Message” and you can start a conversation with them.
Keep in mind that while Facebook Dating is an online dating site, you can still talk about other things besides a date.
Now that you know how to create a profile, like other profiles, and communicate with other users, let’s talk about how to find matches. As we’ve discussed previously, Facebook Dating is not catered to a specific age group or demographic. Instead, the site matches users based on their interests.
To find matches, you need to fill out your interests. When creating your profile, click on “Interests,” and you’ll be able to fill out your interests. Once you’ve done this, Facebook Dating will use these interests to match you with potential matches.
When did Facebook Dating start?
As we’ve discussed previously, Facebook Dating is relatively new. It was first announced in January 2019, and the full rollout began in select countries in June of that same year. If you’re interested in learning more about Facebook Dating, you can check out Facebook’s official press release. You can also read our article on the history of online dating here.
How do I succeed on Facebook Dating?
Now that you know how to sign up for Facebook Dating, create a profile, find matches, and communicate with other users, how do you go about succeeding on Facebook Dating? Just like with any other dating site, it’s all about putting yourself out there.
Make sure to fill out your profile and interests, and then go on a few dates. It won’t happen immediately, but if you’re open and honest, you’ll find someone you click with.