In order to offer upgrades for its own in-house games, the Washington-based video game studio Valve introduced Steam in 2003. Since that time, Steam has emerged as the industry-leading gaming platform for PCs and, to a lesser extent, Macs.
One of the most well-liked ways for gamers to play their favorite games is through Steam, which has an abundance of first-party and third-party titles. Additionally, a big part of Steam’s success comes from the platform’s frequent deals on both new and old games, which let consumers buy their favorite games at a lower price.
Steam can be downloaded and used without cost. Here’s how to install Steam and start looking for games you like.
How to download and install Steam on PC and Mac
- Open a web browser and go to https://store.steampowered.com.
- In the top-right corner of the screen, click the green button that says “Install Steam.”
- After you click “Install Steam,” you’ll be taken to a new page, where you can download Steam. Click “Install Steam” and a file named “SteamSetup.exe” or “steam.dmg” (depending on whether you’re using a PC or Mac, respectively) will begin downloading.
- Once the file finishes downloading, click on the file and it will launch the Steam Setup app. Hit “Next,” and choose the language you want Steam to use.
- Choose a location you want Steam’s files to be located
- Once the application has been installed on your computer, click “Finish.”
You are now prepared to use Steam after completing the initial setup. If it doesn’t launch immediately after you exit setup, simply perform a computer search for “Steam,” then click the first result.
Now, you may buy games on your PC, give games as gifts to friends, join new groups, and interact with the Steam community.